1. The detective left no stone unturned to trace the culprit.
did very irrelevant things resorted to illegitimate practices used all available means
2. The authorities took him to task for his negligence.
gave him additional work suspended his assignment reprimanded him forced him to resign
3. In spite of the immense pressure exerted by the militants, the Government has decided not to give in.
accede yield oblige confirm
4. Their business is now on its last legs.
About to fructify About to perish About to produce results About to take off
5. He went back on his promise to vote for me.
withdrew forgot reinforced supported
6. By the skin of one’s teeth
Hardly In time Hurriedly Only just
7. Harp on
To comment To criticise To keep on talking To keep on insulting
8. To be at daggers drawn
To be frightened To be ready to face danger To threaten one To be bitter enemy
9. To get into hot waters
To be impatient To suffer a huge financial loss To get into trouble To be in a confused state of mind
10. A fair crack of the whip
Severe punishment A good check A period of importance Failure of administration